Onion Thokku





This is a very simple recipe that my mom makes often in summer when we all like to eat palayasadam.(old rice)

Palayasadam mixed with curd,and this thooku as a side dish ,along with mangoes, is truly out of the world.

Ingredients :

1 big onion (chopped)

3 green chillies (chopped)

3/4 tsp tamarind paste

1/4 cup water

Oil for tempering

1/4 tsp mustard seeds

Curry leaves

Method:

Mix the tamarind paste in water .Keep aside.

In a kadai, pour a little oil, and season with mustard seeds, curry leaves.When the mustard seeds splutter, add the onion and chopped chillies .Saute till the onion turns light pink in colour. Pour in the tamarind water and allow to boil, till thick . Serve with curd rice.

This is my entry for the JFI July- Jihva for Tamarind hosted by Sig of Live to Eat Originally started by Indira of Mahanadi.

Comments

  1. Hi Pearlin, that description of rice mixed with curd and this thokku and mangoes really made me drool... Thank you for the delicious entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    The recipe looks great....is it a curry or just a pickle ? Curd rice is my fave and i guess having them along with this thokku will make them even more tasty !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe I too start drooling just thinking about the combo.Its my pleasure to participate Sig.Thanks for visiting. :)

    VJR, it is a kind of chutney/dip, yes the curd rice thokku combo is unbeatable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling just looking at the Thokku, yum!:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tamarind! I don't like spicy dishes though, but that looks so good to eat with a lot of rice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Asha :)

    Mimi, you can reduce the amount of green chillies if you like.However, it is not that spicy :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts