The Beaded Batua

I had no idea for a long time that these little drawstring bags were called Batuas.
In my part of the country, they called it suruku pai.One of my favourite memories associated with it is that, there used to be an Event called Sangam in our Home Chruch .All the elders in family would give us small amounts of  money .Those who cannot come would send them through others early in the morning. We looked forward to it so much.
My mom would stitch  little drawstring bags from old clothes.Later in the evening, we would all go to a little fair in front of the church,where mostly indigenous toys and sweets were sold. We usually went with a bag full of coins and came back spending every little paise and getting all that caught our fancy!
Recently I came across this post that gave a nice introduction about history of these batua bags .
  I started making this bag on a whim, as I was making it, it struck me that it would go very well as a party bag with my Kantha saree. DSCN1398
sure does don’t you think?
Close up of the beads and true colour
DSCN1407
Another view from the side
 DSCN1405 
Project Details :
Yarn/Thread : J&P Coats Speed- Cro-Sheen  size three thread and two balls of Anchor Knitting Cotton .Both in Black.
Hook: 3.25 mm  boye  steel hook
Pattern : Winged/
Tid Bits :
Initially I had planned to bead the entire bag,  I ran out of beads   and the thread it self.Now I am happy with how it turned out and think that it  after all looks better this way.
I used J& P Coats thread for the first half  and then held two strands of Anchor Knitting Cotton and finished off the rest  .I was delighted to find that they made no difference at all 
Its the same as the bag I made before a long time back.Just the beading is different.Its the same beads tho' :)
Don’t you think it goes well with the saree? :)
FOfriday

Comments

  1. prettier than I thought it would be ! yes,it goes very well with saree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a beautiful bag and it goes well with your saree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! you reminded me of Sangam! I too remember the fair on Sangam day... Every year, my dad bakes a cake and sells fishes for aquariums in the fair.

    Love the black 'surukku pai'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly awesome. The Saree and bag are excellent duo. Go rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading about Batuas. Sangam Day sounds like so much fun, and the bag came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bag, it is beautiful! I should try working with beads some time, it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bag AND the saree. Both are beautiful. I agree, I like that the whole bag doesn't have beads. Thanks for sharing about Sangam day. It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, this came out beautifully. I have yet to try crocheting with beads, so I'm really impressed by how lovely this looks, and it does look fantastic with the saree and necklace. It looks like it will be a great shape to carry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty, and it goes very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!!! I've never tried adding beads to my crochet, but I may just have to :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...that looks awesome...i love the beads you used...it goes well with your saree...i want to make one too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts