Keeping Promises

Right after I took my beginners quilt workshop back in 2006 , I promised both my boys a quilt each. I took them fabric shopping with very little knowledge of quilting fabric myself .Let them choose what they wanted. They did.M , being little bug that he is , bugged me till he got his quilt and only then let me off the proverbial hook. A on the other hand, my patient patient baby, would mention in the passing that he was waiting for his quilt now and then.And me being the uncrowned queen of procrastination kept put it off and off.
I told him ,beginning of this year, I would first finish his quilt and only then do anything else. Sadly I did not feel inspired at all to work on it. Finally, guilt ridden , I promised him that I would definitely make it before we left to India for our annual vacation.
Some of you might remember I was  working on the pinwheels a few weeks back.Then we had terrible dust.Apart from making everyone depressed, it also brings with it allergies. So the pinwheels  and the sewing  machine were left  unattended. With just a couple of days left for our trip, I was again struck by guilt pangs , what kind of a mother would I be, if I could not keep promises? made specially to a very patient accommodating child? So I got into a quilt making frenzy and completed his quilt just in time to take with us to India tomorrow. The aches all over my body ,a very stiff neck (from start to finish- piecing ,quilting etc all in a day and half)are nothing compared to the  relief at finally being able to cross this quilt off my list.  I’m not joking when I say its like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
I used this tute to make the pinwheels. I’m in love this method. I used 61/2” squares .Previously I had planned to make just a squares quilts and  cut 61/2 “ squares.When I  chanced upon this tutorial,I decided to use the same squares for the blocks. I loved how easy it was, not to mention my fascination with the pinwheel blocks
.quilt show pictures 233
It also seemed to capture A’s fun loving, carefree and happy personality………….plus I wanted to make up for the wait by doing something more than just a basic square quilt.The fabric in the quilt were all chosen by him. Some of them are not even quilting fabric but I kept them because he chose them.They all represent his fascinations ;bikes, football, music, Cars the movie, dogs,his one time fascination with fire and fire engines .
quilt show pictures 243
I did have a skateboard flannel for the backing, but decided to go with the bikes as I figured flannel might be too hot for him.
quilt show pictures 244quilt show pictures 242
I used warm and natural  low loft  needled cotton  no pre wash necessary batting which I absolutely adore and think is the best I have worked with so far. I  guess that it made quilting that much more  manageable and easier for me. This is the first  big solo quilt that I’ve made.I had help for the one I made M from my teacher.
After piecing them,and attaching the border, I  stitched in the ditch with the quilt top across  the border and the pinwheels  .This is basically what I did.
I thought I will be cured of my pinwheel addiction after this quilt, but the fact is I’ve fallen deeper into pinwheel pit and oh I totally get that quilt blessing “may your bobbins be always full “ now Winking smilewhat I don’t get however is ,when I could finish this quilt in such a short time, why o why did I take so long to get to it earlier?
Joining in with Our Creative Spaces
 FOfriday

Comments

  1. Well, may yr bobbins be always full and yr mind on the next lovely quilt! Great job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! It looks great! I do not sew at all. I guess you are off now on your trip. We won't be going to the States this summer (2nd year in a row). Just too much for me to handle anymore, such a long trip and then all the planning and spending once I get there. Would much rather take a few small trips from here over the summer. And hopefully get some things organized around here. Have a wonderful trip. best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so complicated. Love the cheerful fabric. You inspire me to start on my first quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anjali. You should start one, its addictive :)

      Delete
  4. Stunning! I like how you've personalized the quilt with things he loves. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont understand how you finished in short time..Great job! have a wonderful vacation in India!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh.. what a lovely quilt... Wow!! Sounds gorgeous.. Have a lovely time off.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...that'a a lovely quilt pearlin...beautiful fabric choice as well...I missed visitng here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Nima. I missed you too :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely quilt. Especially the fabrics, personal touch which only a mom can think ok:) beautiful blog and I am up latest follower .

    Find me at diapermum.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rajeswari for your sweet commet and for following me.Welcome.Hope you enjoy your stay :)

      Delete
  9. Wow!! this is the one you made with those blocks uh? hmm really fab!!.. Am sure your son will cherish it forever.You have chosen the best theme for him:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts