(Repurposed )Summer Bag

Sometime back, I  fell in love with this fabric(  bling and all)I saw at a local tailoring shop and decided to order a tunic made from it. I chose the pattern I wanted, gave order for stitching it and came back , excitedly dreaming about wearing it with this pant and that. Not only did they take forever to deliver  it  ; when they did , it didn’t fit! I was so  disappointed but was so done with the waiting that I decided to just leave it as a lesson learnt.

However,I did not want to throw it away .You see, I was  smitten by the colours ,  and the chumkis /sparkly things on it that I decided I’d make  some sort of a bag with it and saved it. Like a lot of my sewing plans, it never materialized.Yesterday morning, determined to get some sewing done, I  took out this tunic without any fixed  idea of what it was going it be.   I was thinking of a drawstring pouch. And then out of the blue, the idea to use the bamboo handles came .

  Here I must tell you all, I never used any pattern, measurements ,rotatory  cutters or mats. All along I  eyeballed everything , thinking”   I am just trying to make something so why measure  or cut with a rotary cutter etc !” And what do you know!!!

bagjumka 010

I ended up with this  bag !!For a novice like me ,whose mantra is usually stitch rip repeat with more ripping than stitching happening , this really is progress!!  Somewhere along the way,those bag workshops  I took have come in handy  after all!

 bagjumka 013 

Joining in with our Creative Spaces FOfriday

Comments

  1. ooo I love that fabric, so glad you saved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love that fabric. When I first came to Kuwait, I had lots of stuff made by the tailor. Especially my maternity clothes since there weren't many choices for shopping 17 years ago -- definitely no malls like there are now. My sewing skills are severely lacking. I'm lucky to do a running stitch for anything. :) Have a great weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bag, Pearlin. The fabric is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute bag. Sometimes you just have to wait for the perfect inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sparkly bits on that fabric! You made a fantastic bag, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric, I love the bag. I'm so glad you could make something out of it, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i m in luv with tat bag....wow..frm wre did u buy tose bamboo handles ....temme the shop here in kuwait which is resonable.......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts