Japanese Flower Motif Shawl

My boys are on term break and its really nice to sleep in late and let the  leisurely mood take over us all day long. The weather too is lovely  with  spurts of rain and sunshine,alternating each other. I’m so grateful for the sunshine . I cannot endure gloomy weather for long.It also makes me smile that I can sit and watch the rain from the comfort of my home, sipping hot tea and not have to walk outside and get drenched in the rain! Umbrellas are of no use with the wind blowing and turning it upward and making me get wet anyways.
But I’ve noticed that it only happens to me, as I see other people walking merrily in the rain holding their umbrellas.There must be a special way of holding it I guess
I started a new project on a whim  this week. Remember how the Japanese Flower Motif  shawl was a rage in the Crochet world at one time?! I made one as well ?  remember? Nah.. you probably don’t.  I never had a chance to use it  and did not want to give it to anyone .I’m very wary about  who I gift my handmade things to. After hearing some really putting off comments  about handmade gifts  being cheap and handcrafts being a waste of time etc, I’d made up my mind never to gift anything handmade to anyone else, except people I know would really appreciate all the effort that has gone into making a handmade gift. You know, the once bitten twice shy thing.
So, when this nice lady  in church, who crochets as well, (I know coz she gifted a lovely crocheted baby blanket , that she’d made, for a lady’s baby shower)  turned Eighty, I decided to give it to her.  Sure enough , it was very well received.
_DSC0813
Back when I first made it,I made it looking at pictures without a pattern.I made notes of what I did  in a little notebook with little diagrams that  I could understand in case I wanted to make one again. Very unlike me, but the funny thing is that  this little notebook arrived in one of the boxes that arrived by sea. As soon as I saw  what I’d noted down,  I wanted to give the pattern a go again to see if I could make it again.Surprisingly it all came back to me and here I am,making another flower motif shawl.
I’m using 3.25 mm D hook and King Cole Riot DK in 404 (66368) this time   . I’m really  happy  all my yarn ,fabric ,hooks and needles are here to keep me busy  even though we still can’t say we are settled down fully.

Comments

  1. Love the colours and design! Very Pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work, your flowers look so fluffly and wonderful :)
    x
    Natalie
    www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people aren't knit worthy and or crochet worthy. Many really don't appreciate it, or realize how much effort and time and skill goes into the making of it. I donate most of my hand made items to charity and the feedback I get about how much things are appreciated when people are cold and without shelter...well worth it.

    WIPW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. You are right about people being ignorant of the effort cost that has gone into a handmade gift. Better to give people who can appreciate

      Delete
  4. So lovely! What a good idea to use a colour changing yarn. And all the flowers match. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Babajeza. I love the colour changing yarn:)

      Delete
  5. Those flowers look pretty in the mixed shades ; definitely your shawl will look lovely too. Waiting to see it completed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are the prettiest blooms! I'm glad your gift was well received and appreciated by your friend. The finished shawl is going to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colors!

    This week I'm participating in KCBW4: http://mibruno.com/knittingdia3/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, its gorgeous:). And yes i hear you re giving handmade gifts! Its tricky, and most people really dont appreciate the value of them. I give hand made mostly to smaller children and crafty friends and the odd person who thinks its the best receiving handmade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a tricky thing Leonie, with crafty friends its always a winner I've found Thank you for stopping by:)

      Delete
  9. It's gorgeous! Love the colours. Even I am wary of gifting anything handmade to anyone because not everyone appreciates the effort and value of a handmade item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pradeepa.Thats another thing we have in common huh? :)

      Delete
  10. Very pretty! I love making modular projects, so easy to pick up and put down, and great for variegated yarns. One suggestion, would you consider moving your tag line on the pictures from center to one of the corners? If someone downloads them the tag would still be there, and it won't stare at viewers face all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vivian . I put the watermark in the centre so people would not download the pictures , crop the watermark and post it as their own. I've had some bad experience before . Would it help if I make it smaller?Pls let me know :)

      Delete
    2. I think it's more about the message it carries. If there is one person out of 100 readers downloads your pictures, the message for the other 99 readers is, "I'm afraid you might be stealing ..."

      A friend of mine in Internet publishing told me the commonly observed Internet usage rule is to credit the originator if they need to repost an image or quote. You may consider a copyright acknowledgement on your site for that purpose, then you don't have to edit every picture.

      Delete
    3. Vivian ,I look at this way,signature watermark on pictures helps others easily identify who owns them, more so with Pinterest where often the source is left out. Also it's my way of saying I put in lot of effort into my work :) I donot want it to cropped off.

      Delete
  11. Flowers look very pretty, I think I like this combo more than your previous attempt, ofcourse I remember that shawl. and yes, you should always gift your handmades to people who knows the effort put into it. me myself made that decision long time back, no matter how close they are, if they dont value it, dont give away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ninu I too love these colours more .i couldn't agree more on giving handmade to people who understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful and what a lovely story! I love the colors you used! So pretty! And I know I would cherish anything handmade given to me! I have a small collection of beloved handmade things given to me by people that didn't "want it" and things made just for me! I am always amazed and overwhelmed when I receive a handmade gift. I'm severely debilitated note, though not elderly, and crochet now so I can see colors and "garden" by crocheting flowers instead of planting them. All from my bed.. where all of my days, save the Dr appointments and migrating to the living room when my daughter and 1st grandchild (he's 1 year old and has stolen my heart) come to visit for a small bit of time (I tire rapidly, but insist on playing with my little guy when he's here even though it hurts my body horribly. I forget its going to hurt, I'm so happy interacting with him!). I love making crochet gifts for my entire family, and I am backed up by their "requests" ๐Ÿ˜ gotta love THAT! My most recent gift was such a lovely surprise! My 14 yr old found a bag hanging on our door knob one afternoon last week. It contained 3 pair of crocheted fingerless Mitts, each pair tied with a ribbon! I know who made them, and it makes them even more special! A neighbor that I only know in passing, but she's seen me wrapped in my shawls back when I used to be able to sit outside... Always in leg warmers that I'd cut a thumbhole in and was wearing as arm warmers over 2 pair of gloves. She knew how much I'd treasure those arm warmers (I need them inside as well), and she crochhets "just a bit" she told me one day a few years ago as we drink coffee while sitting in my shady garden. Homemade makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside! Vive' la homemade!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts