Soldiering on with DPNs

Autumn has started setting it. Man, does it get chilly in the mornings or what! I needed some fingerless mitts for my hands to keep them from getting cold.
I could have easily crocheted myself a pair, but you see, we have not unpacked half of our boxes that arrived by sea, and somewhere in one of those boxes, lies my box of crochet hooks .The one that we had already opened had all my knitting needles, one Tunisian crochet hook , and an unopened set of four DPNs .
I found a pattern I liked, and it asked for use of DPNs.
I never thought I’d want to learn how to use DPNs even though I had them with me. Seemed too complicated.Even when making hats with Circulars I never used them. I had no idea how to work with them.Seriously, I did not even bother to think how it worked.
I have to admit, when I first tried to use them, I had no idea what I was doing.A few videos later, I realised that even with DPNs, you only knit with two needles at a time, just like any other kind of knitting and the rest of the needles are like the cable needles holding the other stitches! Once I figured that out it became a breeze.084
As I was working two things stood out to me, that my needles are too long and it would be more convenient if I had a set of five DPNs instead the four set one I have.
Now that I have learnt to use these pointy sticks, we shall a pair of knit fingerless mittens after all !

Comments

  1. Looks quite complicated to me. I tried knitting but we just did not get along at all. :) Warm wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprised myself learning knitting Tammy :)

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great when we have to try something out of necessity then realise we like it after all? Now your knitting can be very impressive when it looks as though you're juggling 4 needles at once! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes , it does look impressive :))thank you Lorna for stopping by

      Delete
  3. You'll catch on quickly I bet. Double pointed needles aren't too hard. They just take some getting used to:) Fingerless mitts are a great project to practice on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ,you are right about the getting used part :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you're off to a great start. I like the 5-needle sets, too, and find the shorter needles are easier to manage. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my doublepointeds, and despite a few recent attempts with circulars, think doublepointeds are still simple once you have cast on and got going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE my circulars. I'm sure DPNs will make it to thelist too soon :)

      Delete
  6. Good job on figuring out the DPN's! I have a love-hate relationship with them. Love using them for toy knitting, hate when the project slides off the needles unawares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo I had the sliding off episodes to many times as well.Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. This is something I have never been able to master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really they are not as hard as they look

      Delete
  8. Oh my, this sounds really complicated, good luck Pearlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisabeth, they are not as complicated as they look :)

      Delete
  9. I have tried DPNs, they are too fidgety for me....but you are right they are pretty easy to use once you get the hang of them. I like the colour of your yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) yes fidgety and being a beginner, it seems like ages before I finish a row :)

      Delete
  10. DPNs are great once you get used to them, it gets rid of the need for sewing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like working with them now .:) Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  11. Bravo for trying out DPNs! The juggling multiple needles scares me so I stick with magic loop. Love the blue yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Preeti. I can't believe something in knitting scares you! You are such a pro!

      Delete
  12. This looks very complicated ! I had knitted long back that too under my mother's guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not that complicated at all Preeti. if I can do it anyone can imo.:D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts