Beautiful Whangarei Falls

 My husband and I went to Whangarei for a day trip. 
We started early in the morning, had a scrumptious breakfast of egg muffins at Burger King .It drizzled a bit while it was still dark but as the day brightened,the drizzling stopped. It was quite pleasant 
This little waterfall right of the highway, was perhaps a prelude to what was in store for us at WhangareiDSC0086
Chatting happily, and taking in the beautiful green fields we passed,we saw hens on the way… oo where did they come from? They seemed like they came out of nowhere,  for as far as we could see , there were no houses around. We stopped took a little break , then resumed our drive. I dreamily looked out the window and what do I see? !Did you see  what I saw?I asked my hubby, suddenly realisation dawned! we did an about turn and went back to see if what we saw were really ….peacocks! Sure enough it was!  .Who would have thought of seeing peacocks here! DSC0075
Finally we were in Whangarei and riding around when we saw a sign that said Whangarei falls 2kms. We decided to check it out.Our iPhone GPS came in handy
.DSC0197
A short walk from the car park and you are there!DSC0205
Ooo Look !! ferns !! I used to try soo hard  to grow them in our home back in Kuwait and only succeeded growing them in a terrarium  but here its on the side walk near the car park growing wild! There is a public toilet just opposite the carpark area although I can't say its clean. the dirtiest I've seen in NZ so far 
DSC0200 
There is a lovely picnic area overlooking the river. We crossed the river above the water through a metal bridge. This bridge had no hand rail and I was a little nervous about crossing it but we did cross it. I was infact more scared about dropping my camera in the water :)
DSC0209

DSC0221
The falls are magnificent.
 DSC0368
We got adventurous, and decided to take the circular walk
DSC0268
The walk goes around the waterfall, down one side, continues through the reserve….DSC0283
DSC0274
offering view of the picturesque waterfall from the other side
DSC0309
crossing a bridge leads ….
 DSC0307 
...to the base of the falls where there is picnic table and viewing area. DSC0320
We had our jackets on and my camera ready ,for the view of the falls from the bridge is Breathtaking!! 
DSC0317 
Spectacular Curtain of water!
 Down the bridge also leads to the walkway which zig-zags back up the hill  to the car park.DSC0355
The tracks are very clear and well maintained although both sides of this circular track  are zig zag  and there are some steep toe curling slopes to cross to the lower bridge.DSC0345
DSC0354
DSC0368
A must see if you are in the Whangarei area.
 this  is one of the many vignettes we saw there  which promptly made me fall head over heels in love with Whangarei !!
DSC0476
I'm using MARS EDIT  trial version for the first time from my Mac. Although I miss Windows Writer , I find this is ok too. If you know of any free software for Mac please let me know. I'll be eternally grateful :D


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post, pearlin..sure u guys having a great tiem there. loved the greenery and the waterfalls...

    Sona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..that was an amazing trip...thank you for lovely snaps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those pics makes me want to go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those chickens, lol :) The falls look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking us along on your adventure. The pictures are lovely. I am new follower of yours thanks for Miss Mary Jane who led me to your wonderful blog.

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous place! Love that you came across hens, peacocks, and chickens all in one morning! Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovely outing! Yay for discovering new lovely places!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a beautiful and serene time :) thanks for sharing pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems to be a very beautiful place. Reminds me of the waterfalls we had been to this summer. I'll share the photos in my next post. I am still not very comfortable using the new camera though I am starting to love it. There is so much more to learn. Shutters and apertures are still confusing to me. I am using the 18-55 mm lens that comes along with the camera. For now I am not going to buy any other lens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't find how to comment on your latest post
    ;'( does this mean what I think it means?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts