Festival of lights

 The customs saga continues.We thought it was going to be over but apparently not .So we wait some more.Its stressful, but we are trying to focus on the better stuff.
Yesterday part of  our little town look ethereal,  with every Hindu home lit with a lots of tiny lights.
Image 2

Photo 2
Image 5
We went around  to look at them.
Image 9
It was   a  festival called Thirukarthegai, festival of lights. The little lamps were so pretty against the humid ,misty air in the night. 
Image 6
We stood and gawked at deities  that were  taken around for people to worship, the colour and lights simply mesmerizing!
Image 8
Our long time neighbours now turned friends, sent us  illa Kolukattai  ( steamed rice dumpling) that they specially made to celebrate this festival. 
Image 1
I had forgotten all about it,  and it felt good to be reminded of it again .One may have pounced on it unceremoniously and  started stuffing one's face  with these yummies so much as to skip dinner!

The boys thought it was a weird idea to wrap food in Palm leaves.But they did taste it when I offered it to them.In a proper ,polite,little bites, thank you ,kind of way.

 Image
I would never have made it for them or even talked to them about it .  I had forgotten about them myself , so I was super excited they got to know such a thing as this was there at least.
In other news, I have finished the Doily I had been working on. I have to block it.Ive not found the desire to block it yet.May be tomorrow.

Comments

  1. What a magical festival and yay for remembering lovely things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Leonie.Yes its wonderful to be reminded of lovely things :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds beautiful! It's lovely to be reminded of traditions we've forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, yes I agree its lovely to be reminded like that :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to re-live your childhood memories and share them with your boys. Hope your customs saga has a speedy finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rangoli and lights reminds me of home. I miss them so much. Hope you and your family had a nice time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Divya its good to be home for these lovely festivals.we had a lovely time

      Delete
  5. We tend to forget some things from our childhood and is nice to be reminded of traditions from so long ago. Glad your boys are getting to experience it all. Good for kids to be exposed to different ideas. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy , I'm so glad they are experiencing all these things.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this with us!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard about this festival for the first time. Thanks for sharing!! It's good that our children learn about certain food and customs .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Preeti , I was wondering if this was celebrated in other parts of India too. Yes I love that they are experiencing all these things here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts