Avial/ Aviyal

It’s been such a long time since I updated this space. So many things happened and the recipe part of my blog got  completely neglected. Now that I’m with my mom, I thought I will learn some of our very traditional and much loved recipes from my mom and document it here for prosterity.
A few weeks back, my aunt and uncle had come to visit us and my mom made the traditional wedding feast in honor of them. I posted an iPhone picture on my Facebook page and soon after, got several requests for the recipes.  I will try to add one by one of the recipes.
Kalyana sapadu edited 1
First up is  the Avial. Its basically a mixture of vegetables in a coconut based masala
This is the Nagercoil version, which I love the best
Ingredients
carrot
1  brinjal  
1 raw banana  
1 drumstick  
a few beans
2-3 green chillies
a tiny piece tamarind.
A few curry leaves
2 tbsp of coconut oil
Mixed veggies
For  Masala
1/2 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds
1/2 cup of grated coconut
2 cloves garlic
2 green chillies 
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
Grind together Coarsely
 Method 

  • Wash the Vegetables well.
  • Cut them into thin strips  as shown in the picture.(if using mango, cut into small strips with or without the skin)
  • Cut the drumsticks in to 2” pieces.
  • Put the chillies  whole and cut the onion into small pieces.
  • Put all vegetables except the drumstick into a vessel ,( also if adding mangoes, do not add the mangoes also ) add a 1/2 cup water , salt to taste  and cook.
  • When the vegetables are half or a little more cooked, add the drumstick pieces.
  • Add the tamarind if necessary.
  • Add the ground masala  and mix well. When done, remove from fire and keep aside. 
  • In a small pan, pour 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, season with mustard seeds, curry leaves and a chopped shallots .
  • Pour it over the cooked vegetables. Then pour the rest of the coconut oil over it.
Avial
Cook Book Scribbles
snake gourd ,elephant yam,raw mango, potato, peas, Seeni avarakai/cluster beans /guar beans can also added .
Avial/Aviyal is also a good way to use up left over vegetables.

Comments

  1. I had never heard of this delicious dish before I was married. Since I married into a Malayali family, I have come to love Aviyal and could eat it by the bowlful especially at Onam time! Thanks for sharing your version of this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too Preeti and never stop until I have usually finished everything on the bowl :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts