Pepper Mushroom Kootu/ Indian pepper mushroom masala

PEPPER

When I was doing my U.G, the University Of Agriculture,held a One day training course on growing Oyster Mushroom at homes.They were actually promoting it for small scale farmers.
I went with my neighbour aunty.They taught us how to grow mushrooms , gave us a bottle of spawns and also a little booklet that had some Mushroom recipes ,along with the instructions to grow mushrooms.
When I got back,I promptly used the sample spawns we got there and grew Mushrooms in the small shed outside our house.
I was so proud to harvest  those pristine white oyster mushrooms. Almost like white flowers,they were so beautiful!!!
After harvesting the mushrooms, we didn't know how to cook the mushrooms!! Amma added them to the curries she made.
I decided to try a recipe from the little booklet I got at the university after I got married. The recipe was rather simple and easy but was quite tasty!
 The original recipe used Oyster Mushrooms,  but I've always only used button mushrooms Later, I found out that our farm people  in my dad's farm also used this same recipe to cook wild mushrooms.The only spices used here in this recipe  are pepper and cumin



INGREDIENTS:

250 gms Mushroom (chopped )
1tsp pepper
1 Onion (chopped)
1 small tomato
1 tsp grated coconut(optional)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp mustard
1 tbsp chopped corriander leaves
Curry leaves,salt to taste

METHOD:

  • Heat oil in a Kadai.
  • Add Cumin ,curry leaves and mustard seeds.Let it splutter.
  • Add Chopped onions,chop till they are pink in color.
  • Then add the tomato pieces.Saute well till mushy.
  • Add salt and pepper. 
  • Now add the Mushroom.Saute well.
  • Sprinkle a little water.Cover and let it cook.
  • Add chopped corriander leaves.
  • Cook till the mushrooms are soft and well cooked but still firm .
  • Sprinkle grated coconut.
  • Serve as a side dish for rice.




















Cook book scribbles:Without the coconut,this  masala can also be used as a sandwich filler.

Comments

  1. We're a mushroom loving family and this would be such a quick and easy side for when I cook Indian food. I was wondering how long you would cook the mushrooms for, just stir fried or cooked right through till they "wilt"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preeti , I would say till they are cooked right through but not till they become rubbery. Approximately 10 min, or till all the water that oozes out from the mushroom dries. Sorry I didn't time it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that looks good. I'm adding this to my 'to cook' list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pls let me know how you like it, if you do try Cat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts