Piece of the past

Staying temporarily at your mother’s place means finding long forgotten treasures , pictures and books.
The other day, I caught a glimpse of a very much loved book from my childhood and was washed over with nostalgic memories.
Mummy patty,my maternal grandmother, was a great story teller.She told us stories everyday when we were little, after dinner time.
Mybookhouse
I  can just close my eyes, and  the little scene,  stamped so vividly in my mind comes alive like it happened yesterday!
My two little cousins, my brother  and  I sitting around her in small chairs in a semi circle, while she sat on her bed.
We sat there mesmerized, eyes glued to her face, as she transported us to a whole new world of Elves and dwarfs,of cyclops , Ulysses,Medusa, Hercules, Snowwhite, Cinderalla, 
Rapunzel,the Ugly Duckling, the humble homes of Hansel 
and Gretel and the Shoemaker… weaving magic with her words.
I recall being fascinated by the story of the shoemaker and the shoemaking elves. ... the tiny clothes they were presented with , wondering why they did not return after that
FAIRYTale
 …  I used mull over where they lived, how their homes looked and so on.
Story time with patty is one of my favorite childhood memories and the Shoe maker and the elves was my favorite fairytale.
Mybookhouse in the nursery
As I turned the pages of this very old book, careful not to crumble the already crumbling pages, I realized that it was she who first kindled in us , my brother and I the desire to read.... I recollect being thrilled to discover that the stories she told us and the poems she taught us...  were all in this book!
And perhaps the love of shoes in me too.Because every time I looked at beautiful shoes,  I imagined in my eight year old mind that shoemaking elves made them!
Did you have a favorite fairy tale growing up? Did someone read to you or tell you stories? Do you remember who inspired in you the love of books? Please do share.

Comments

  1. I still have all my old childhood books. I enjoy reading them to my own kids. The elves and the shoemaker was one of my favourite too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to know that you loved shoemaker and the elves too Cat :) , I used to read a lot for my boys too, now they both enjoy reading.

      Delete
  2. That book definitely has been loved. I don't remember being read to when I was little. Perhaps someone did read to me at some point, but I don't have any recollection of it at all. When I was 12, I devoured books -- especially Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books. I read each and every one of them. Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys as well Tammy. Wish you a happy week too

      Delete
  3. soo soo soo liked this post ! totally agree to what you said, Pearlin. those temporary stays are always a walk thru flash back. I no longer have a "matrnal" home as such..its demolished long back...but somehow cant take in when someone refers to the home that we lived and was raised, now....as "our paternal" home. I still stay..."my home" and it stays that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sona.It's really hard to let go of some the memories,and yes I agree, no matter what , where we are raised will always be home.

      Delete
  4. and hey..lovely header..by the way. loved the by-line :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely Pearlin, what a treasure. I fell in love with reading to escape and build imaginary worlds... So free and beyond the constraints of life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten all about this book and was filled with warm fuzzies when I saw it again. Building imaginary worlds is so fun and I love it too :)

      Delete
  6. Its wonderful to have such a recollection of the past, Pearlin....lucky for you to grow up with a grandma like her. I also don't remember being read to as a child, i had a lot of siblings, and my mother had even more...so maternal love was really spread thin :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mimi, she was a great grand mom and we were so lucky too.
      aww I did not mean to make you sad ,you are such a warm person Mimi (hug)

      Delete
  7. Your new header is lovely. Staying at mum's place is bliss :-) I never realised it before marriage and now I crave for it. Even now I find so many interesting things of mine in my wardrobe and cupboards. My mum considers some of it junk but fortunately decides to keep it for my sake ;-)
    Enjoy!!
    -Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ranjitha .my parents too have kept a lot of my things only for my sake :D

      Delete
  8. What a fond childhood memory! My mom instilled in me love for the written word. She would read stories to me over and over and I would soak it all up. I ended up knowing so many of the stories word for word. Sometimes she would skip a sentence and let me fill in the blanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Preeti ,for sharing about your mom reading to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts