Bent not broken

Rope 

I was going to write about our impromptu trip to Cochin and our long awaited trip to Pondicherry. The glorious time we had in these places, enjoying the company of J who was visiting India for some work assignments in Cochin.
Revisiting our old favorite places in Pondicherry. Reliving fond memories , eating at our old favorite regulars and doing a wee bit of shopping there.
There were a few more places we wanted to visit. I wanted the children to know their culture and their heritage, the history of the land they come from.  And then something totally unexpected happened and all  of our other travel plans came to a screeching halt! 

On fourth May mid afternoon ,when we were returning from Pondicherry , going towards Thanjavur, a bus coming from the opposite end of the road, didnot see our little car coming in the curve of the road , overtook a bus in front, and collided head on into our car. By Gods great mercy , we all came out alive to tell the tale of the mishap without a single broken bone!Oh yes , there was blood ;lots of it and shattered glass everywhere. A disbelief that it really happened that followed, when  the what really happened message, reached the brain. A bus load of kind strangers stopped to help us even as the bus that hit us fled the scene; and I couldn’t remember where we were coming from or going to!

Being stranded in the middle of nowhere , our car smashed up  completely in the front, my severely bleeding mom , my stuck in the car and  visibly upset dad,my hysterically crying nine year old, my unfazed fifteen year old ( who usually screams he's bleeding to death on sight of a drop of blood!) offering words of encouragement and comfort to my parents, standing like a rock support by me, running around to gather our things , unaware of the fact that he himself had a deep cut on his leg that required four stitches,complete strangers who were nothing short of Angels in disguise  rushing to help us , with not even one person trying to take advantage of the situation,the ride in the ambulance to an unknown hospital, the kind doctors, the exploitive hospital helpers, help from unknown quarters,my children sleeping on the hospital floor without a murmur or a sigh for the first time ever, my cousins  rushing  to my help early next morning  ,after a coincidendal call one of them made to me, while I was waiting for my mom to finish her CT Scan. Taking over from me completely from there…are some of the things ,I know,  are not going  to get erased out of my mind  in a haste.

This incident will also stay in my mind for ever as the one point where I realized that there was a role reversal happening .It was time to take over the charge of handling things. There was no one but us-my cousins and I  
to handle things and we had to step up to the plate! and we did just that We’ve seen our parents take care of their parents and us and it  somehow it never struck me, we will be there one day doing just that! 

When I hear of stories of how entire families have died in accidents, how severely injured people were robbed by way side dacoits,( who I am told lay in wait for accidents to happen )   I shudder and thank God over and over again for protecting us through the mishap .Even though our car was completely crushed  and  is useless now, I cannot be grateful enough for having each of my family alive and well. 

Comments

  1. Oh Pearl, how terrifying. I'm pleased everyone is ok. Thank goodness for those kind people. At least, out of a horrible situation I can take away a little faith in humanity from this story. Look after yourself and your family. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cat.yes,it restored my faith in humanity as well.

      Delete
  2. OMG Pearl. That's really terrifying. But I'm really really glad that everyone's okay. Hope you and your family gets back to normal asap. I was actually wondering , what kept you away from blogging for so long. Do take care of yourself and your family.
    Lots of love,
    Hugs!!
    -Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ranjitha for missing me and your best wishes. hugs n love

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Pearlin! What a terrible tragedy you had to face and the pain and anxiety that followed. God's hand was definitely on all of you to have come out of that accident. I hope that your mom is doing fine now and that all of you are on the road to recovery. Thinking of you and praying for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Preeti. Yes even the people there at the accident site said the same thing seeing how badly our car was damaged.Yes mom is much better now.thanks for your prayers dear friend.

      Delete
  4. How terrifying. Glad you're OK but yes, very traumatic. Road accidents are way too common in India :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Nupur you are right about accidents being way too common. I'm so glad to see you on my blog. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. Wow what an amazing story and how absolutely blessed and wonderful to have been surrounded by Angels. Hope you are all doing well now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nothing short of a Miracle, Leonie. Yes we all are doing better now. thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Oh ,That's traumatic, Pearlin. It's a relief to know that everyone was safe. I hope your mom and kids are recovering now. Take care of your younger one, he is too small to take all of this .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Preeti, we are all recovering well.

      Delete
  7. Omg what a terrible happening. Whenever my fellow bloggers were away from the blog land I use to utter a small prayer in my mind so that everything would be normal and safe in their side. I remembered you and thank god you are all safe. Remember psalms:91:11. As children of god, he will give his angels charge over us. The situations may go bad and hopeless, but our Jesus Christ will take care of us. Do take care of your family. I will remember you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words Shami. I'm really touched .

      Delete
  8. What an incredible story Pearlin. So glad everyone is OK and that there are so many good people in the world. Bless you all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only after hearing scary stories from others , I realized how lucky we were!Thank you so much for visiting my blog

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, Pearlin. I am so sorry to hear of the accident, but grateful you are all okay. I cannot believe that the bus just kept going? Seriously! Some people have no conscience. To not even think of what tragedy they might have left behind. Awful! No doubt it was a life altering experience. God bless you all, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we are all so grateful too Tammy. even I was shocked the driver didn't stop and for a second i saw him go past our car, I thought we were not hit , before the car started flying. But I've been since informed that its the most common thing here.Thanks so much Tammy

      Delete
  10. Oh Pearlin this sounds horrific! So glad you all are OK - it must have been so frightening and confusing. It really shows that you never know what is around the corner - literally - and the strength of human spirit and kindness xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebecca. It was very frightening but we are also very grateful for the second chance and also for all the good samaritans who rushed to our help

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts