Dry Masala Fish



Growing up , I never knew that cooking a recipe from a cookbook was looked down upon as the hallmark of a bad cook!
I was the typical eager beaver tween trying out recipes from magazines and random recipes book I happened to chance upon, in my grandparent’s kitchen.
My grandparents ,my parents , my brother , cousins , uncles and aunts were very indulgent and appreciated all the efforts  that went into following a recipe from a cook book and  presenting the dish at the table.I had no clue I could go wrong with a recipe from a recipe book.Not because every recipe I tried was a success, but because there was always someone aka my mom at hand, ready to help and convert the dish into something edible .
It was only early into my married life that I heard disparaging remarks about the connection between bad cooks and recipe books! Since it was not from J, I did not care about those remarks. I happily carried on with my penchant for trying out recipes from Recipe books with J cheerleading me  and being a willing guinea pig for all my attempts.Later when the children came along, they also joined us on the culinary journeys we undertook through these recipe books.
Not only did it expose us to a variety of  regional  Indian and International cuisines.It has also helped us learn quite a lot about different cultures and be open to new ideas.
With age and experience I kind of know which ones will work or won’t .what to add and what to leave out so that it will satisfy the tastebuds of my family.
My family  is the ultimate touchstone for the recipes I try. If they give the thumbs up, the recipe goes into my Cookbook, if its thumbs down, then I never make it again.
The other day at the library I chanced upon Madhur Jaffrey’s book and decided to check it out in the hopes of trying out new recipes. I gave the book to the boys and asked them to choose a recipe each from the book.
Big B was hoping to find a recipe for Butter Chicken which sadly this book did not have. Lil B is fond of fish and so he chose the Dry Masala Fish recipe

The recipe, turned out to be one of those easy and quick , no fuss , yummy preparation that everyone loved.
Recipe adapted from “100 Essential Curries”by Madhur Jaffrey
Ingredients to serve 4
Salmon Loins- 250 grams
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2tsp
Ginger -1/2 ” grated
Garlic – 2 cloves-grated
Lemon Juice  -1 tsp
Greek Yoghurt -2 tablespoon
Vegetable Oil enough to smear on fish.
Method:
Rub salt on the washed and dried fish filets.Keep aside for 10 mins.Mix yoghurt,lemon juice,the tumeric powder,chilli powder,garam masala powder
grated ginger and garlic .Rub this mixture on to the fish fillets on both sides so the masala is spread evenly on both sides.Place the fish on a baking sheet on the oven tray.Drizzle oil on top and keep aside..
Now preheat the oven in the grill setting at 185 degrees C.When the oven is sufficiently hot, place the oven tray in the middle section.
Grill on one side till it becomes slightly brown, turn to the other side to get the same colouring.
Repeat turning once more until it is golden brown evenly on both sides.

Serve hot.

Comments

Popular Posts