The Girl from Baghdad

When things particularly don't go the way we expect them to ,it is but natural to feel unenthusiastic and deflated, no? 
First my arm then strict instructions to keep off crafts , not to mention the rather unexpected curveballs that life seems to throw at us at regular intervals.
My friend suggested I get something to read when I was lamenting about not knowing what to do with my life anymore now that I was unable to craft.
The Girl from Baghdad sitting on the "just returned shelf" in the library seemed like an interesting read and I checked it out.
Michelle Nouri's narrative of her life in prewar Baghdad, the clash of cultures in her own home, her heart wrenching account of her adolescent life during beginning of war in her country, the loss of friendships , her father's betrayal and abandonment, the struggles after ,of their life in communist Prague makes for an interesting and powerful read .Leaving the reader to wonder why and how one person  could take in so much pain and suffering,how the very people supposed to have once loved them dearly and should be protecting them ,so heartlessly inflict such emotional and physical distress to their own flesh and blood.
Not only did the book offer an insight into the Iraqi matriarchal society it also made one realise that Baghdad was once vibrant and normal as any other country , a far cry from the war torn images of debris , suffering and military presence we see on television these days.
For me personally it was very relatable to the Kuwaiti culture I had had a chance to observe at close quarters.
In spite of all the heart breaking struggles and the unfairness of it all ,one cannot but admire the author 's indomitable spirit . 
It was one of those books that inspired me to stop being cranky at trifling inconveniences and be grateful for the wonderful blessings I have in my life.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review. I have another similar novel, barefoot in Baghdad.
    Are you on goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Preeti. I think I do, but I'm not very active on it Preeti. I will look out for barefoot in Baghdad

      Delete
  2. My husband was born and raised in Kuwait and tells me of the times they would get in the car and drive to Iraq where they would stop for a picnic. He said it was a beautiful country. Now look what war has done to it. Same with Syria. Afghanistan. So many others. It's just awful what "man" is capable of. The book sounds really interesting. I think many need a reminder of just how fortunate they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was an eye opener for me Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it very much.

Popular Posts